Assistant River Stewards
The Farmington River Coordinating Committee is seeking volunteer Assistant River Stewards for the summer of 2015. We are looking for people who want to keep our beautiful Farmington River clean, and help foster a safe and family orientated experience on the river between the various users. This is a terrific opportunity to be outdoors and make a difference in your community. It also is a great resume builder!
Whether you can only volunteer a little of your time each week, or want to become more involved and learn about river stewardship, we would love to hear from you. There are even opportunities to ‘adopt’ a small section of the upper Farmington and work within your area.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a presence on the river during busy times.
- Be a role model for proper etiquette on the river.
- Help educate people about the ‘No Glass No Trash’ motto.
- Help spread the word about ‘Carry Out what you Carry In’.
- Interact with the various users on the river.
- Collect information about users’ experiences on the river.
- Help promote the junior river ranger program.
- Be able to call the proper authorities if there is a problem on the water.
- Work well with other people.
- Report any river hazards encountered to the River Steward.
- Provide assistance to FRCC events under the direction of the River Steward.
- Help pick up trash along the river.
- Possibly interact with DEEP officials and/or the local police.
- On slow days may be asked to visit local businesses to promote our mission and hand out flyers.
- Report regularly to the River Steward.
Required skills and abilities:
- Working well with others and being a good teacher
- Great communication skills
- Proficient in kayaking, canoeing or fishing is a plus
- Ability to relate to a wide variety of people from different backgrounds
- Must be able to judge situations
Applicants will be required to submit a resume and a work application form (please download from our website at http://farmingtonriversteward.org/journal/2015/01/11/assistant-stewards/). Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and have their own transportation. All will attend a training day in May (date TBD). The dates for this position are between Memorial Day 5/25/15 and Labor Day 9/7/2015.
The work is usually conducted outdoors near or on the river, occasionally in wet and/or humid conditions. You will be working with other people on a team, and will often interact with users on the river – fishermen, kayakers, tubers, rafters, walkers, swimmers and picnickers
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and completed work application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is March 22nd, 2015.